HGV/LGV Driver Requirements
What if we said that there is a job out there which allows you to travel the width and breadth of the country, gives you a generous salary and allows you to drive a huge vehicle every day. e’ve just described the career as a HGV driver. To many this is something that they have dreamt about since they were a child, for others this career is a new revelation. There has never been a better time to start your HGV driving career. So, what do you need to become a HGV driver?
To become a lorry driver, you need to be able to meet the following criteria:
- Firstly, you must be over 18 years of age this is required by law (this used to be 21 until a few years ago) and hold a category B car driving licence.
- Next comes the easy bit – Pass a medical with a doctor of your choice and send off the forms to apply for a provisional HGV/LGV licence from the DVLA.
- Now you must gain a vocational qualification by taking several examinations after appropriate training.
- Pass the module 1 test (theory and hazard perception)
- Pass the module 3 test (practical driving)
- You can now drive a truck legally on the road but NOT as a job, to WORK as a truck driver you need to complete the initial driver CPC (certificate of professional competence) tests.
- Pass the module 2 test (case studies)
- Pass the module 4 test (practical safety demonstration)
When ALL 4 modules have been passed, you will be sent your Driver Qualification Card (DQC) along with your new driving licence, this now entitles you to be a full-time class C truck driver (old class 2) for 5 years. To move on to become a C+E truck driver (old class 1) you then just need to pass the Module 3 (practical driving) for category CE. But you must remember, within 5 years you MUST complete 35 hours of periodic driver CPC training to maintain your entitlement to drive a lorry (also it is necessary to pass the medical every 5 years if over 45 years of age and up to 65 when it must then be completed every year)
Now go out into the job market and enjoy.
Find out how to become a HGV driver today!